Our research expertise is in the area of orchestration and service/resource management with focus on:
- design, implementation and experimental analysis of network function placement and network slicing algorithms, leveraging matheuristics and machine learning techniques;
- design, implementation and experimental analysis of "intent based" orchestration systems for the closed-loop management of multi-domain virtualized network infrastructures in the edge-cloud continuum;
- intent processing and service and security function placement for zero-touch integrated security deployment in the edge-cloud continuum;
- experimental evaluation of NFV and SDN solutions on distributed and multi-tenant cloud environments;
- performance evaluation of virtualized network functions in cloud-native environments.
The Department of Computer Science of the University of Pisa, Italy, was the first Department of Computer Science that was established in Italy (1967), and the first in Italy to start a university degree (1969) and a Ph.D. School in Computer Science (1983). Currently the Department counts over 60 faculty members (full, associate, and assistant professors), and several research fellows and Ph.D. students. The research of the Department spans the following areas (as per the 2012 ACM Computing Classification System): Computer systems organization, Networks, Software and its engineering, Theory of computation, Mathematics of computing, Information systems, Security and privacy, Computing methodologies and Applied computing.