Our expertise focuses on the deployment of energy efficient and sustainable wireless networks, capable to address sustainability challenges raised by the staggering surge of mobile traffic and energy consumption determined by the shift towards the 6G paradigm.
The topics covered by our expertise include:
• Solutions based on renewable energy source integration to power wireless networks
• Aerial networks to enhance terrestrial network sustainability, i.e. exploiting renewable powered Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and High Altitude Platform Stations (i) to flexibly provide additional capacity in densified urban networks, still limiting the impact on sustainability, (ii) to integrate aerial caching nodes to support sustainable content delivery, and (iii) to offer non-terrestrial computational capability to enable sustainable edge computing
• Designing efficient energy management strategies and energy-aware resource management algorithms, also based on Machine Learning techniques
• Integrating Federated Learning approaches to enhance sustainability of wireless networks
• Deploying energy saving approaches based on cross-technology cooperation and on the interaction of the wireless network with the Smart Grid in a Demand Response framework, to target sustainability objectives
The Politecnico di Torino (https://www.polito.it/) is one of the leading polytechnic universities in Italy, featuring extensive and acknowledged experience in international collaborations and partnerships.
Our research team is part of the Telecommunication Networks Group, which is a very large networking group within the Department of Electronics an Telecommunications at Politecnico di Torino (Italy), consisting of 11 Professors and several Post-Docs and PhD students.
The Telecommunication Networks Group covers a vast area of research topics related to advanced telecommunication networks, some of which are reported on the following link: https://www.telematica.polito.it/